Urban housing in most American cities is becoming very expensive. That’s why contractors and builders have been going the Asian route, building smaller homes and apartments. If your old furniture is broken and needs to be fixed by a professional, you can search for “furniture repair near me” to hire one. Otherwise, you can buy these smart furniture solutions for your small apartment:
- Murphy Bed – Murphy beds are best suited for cozy living rooms in a small apartment. Murphy beds come in all sorts of styles and configurations and can be used for multiple purposes. It can be a sofa, a workstation or a bed at different times of the day. Murphy beds have hydraulic levers that pull up the bed into the wall or into vertical wooden storage of the same size during the day.
When the bed isn’t used, it stays up on the wall and the lower section can be configured to be a sofa in the living room for entertaining guests. You can also make the lower section into a private home office. When it’s time to sleep, you can pull down the bed and the lower sections act as support. These beds are designed to blend seamlessly into the wall and save a lot of space.
- Chair and Art Piece – If you have an apartment with a narrow living space, you get more wall space than floor space. Configuring your furniture in this sort of setting is very difficult. Narrow spaces get clogged up very easily and if it’s filled with furniture, movement becomes an issue. You can fix this by going the minimal route and investing in a set of foldable chairs that also acts like art pieces.
The Pick Chair designed by DrorBenshetrit can become a chair or wall art within seconds. There are three panels with steel support bars that can fold into a chair and can also be hung on the wall within no time. The panels have two sides. The side that turns into art stays at the back when it’s in the form of a chair. This protects the art from any damage. Moreover, with a bunch of these chairs, you can create continuous art to fill up the wall.
- DIY Loft – If you live in an apartment with a tall ceiling make the most of the vertical space. You can DIY build an industrial loft and use it for many purposes. Industrial lofts are easy to build with steel components and are sturdy enough to hold a lot of weight. They can also be customized according to your needs.
While the floor can be used for your workstation, the loft can become a recreational space where you relax. You can also fit a bed in the loft and make your two-room apartment a lot more interesting. If you don’t want to make a bedroom or living space in the loft, you can use it for storage. That keeps most of the clutter of your home out of sight and makes it look more spacious.
- Foldable Kitchen – Everyone has seen or read about the tiny kitchens inside expensive Asian city apartments. They make clever use of space and try to fit in the necessary kitchen appliances. However, that has become quite outdated in modern times. It’s the era of foldable and pop-up kitchens that save you plenty of space without sacrificing practicality. They also become conversation starters when you have guests over.
A Finland-based designer has come up with a fully-functional foldable kitchen that lets you do everything you want in a traditional kitchen while saving space. The kitchen looks very stylish and folds up in the form of a closet when it’s not needed. The kitchen can also be configured to suit your specific needs.
If a foldable kitchen isn’t your style, you can go with a pop-up kitchen. PIA pop-up kitchens are specially designed for small spaces and are made to look as modern and stylish as possible. The kitchen acts as a wall cabinet when not in use. It can even hold a wall-mounted TV through an inlet. When it’s time to cook, you can open the cabinet doors to reveal a fully functional kitchen that’s astoundingly beautiful and highly practical. It even has electrical outlets, plumbing points, and all the necessary appliances you need.
- Expanding bookshelf – Sometimes small spaces don’t need astonishing furniture solutions. The solution can be as simple as a few frames and wood pieces that can add space when necessary. This innovative furniture starts off as a bookshelf with three vertical layers. However, it also has a metal frame that can expand and allows you to add more shelves to hold your growing book collection. It’s great for those people who plan to move into a bigger home in the future.
- Expanding desk – You may have come across the expanding desk on the internet. It’s a very popular product among small space furniture pieces and for the right reasons. The desk is very compact and wide enough to accommodate your laptop, a couple of lights and maybe a paper weight. It can act as your remote workstation in your tiny apartment.
However, when guests come over, you can expand the desk into a full-sized dinner table. The desk has rails along with the depth and these sturdy metal rails can expand drastically to become a full-fledged table. Under the desk, you get wood pieces that can be stacked on the rails. The desk can expand up to 9 feet to accommodate as many as 10 people comfortably.
As you can see small spaces don’t need to feel stuffy when you adopt the minimal lifestyle and invest in smart, foldable furniture that does a lot more in a tight space. However, that doesn’t mean you throw away your existing furniture. If it can be fixed, you can search for “furniture repair near me” and hire a professional to do the job.